Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Fix Is In

Last year my bike was stolen on the plaza of my office building. I'm still slightly bitter about it, and now it means that I need to get a new bike. My bed mate has 'got a guy' that builds bikes. The names Billy. Billy built up my bf an amazing vintage, 70's Bianchi that he likes to call his 'princess'.
I met with Billy a few weeks ago to talk about a bike for me. My vertically challenged height poses a problem with finding the right frame so we are in limbo until the right one shows up. Perfect measurements are a must with Billy.
Since that meeting I have been thinking about what I want in a bike. I'm pretty sure I will not go full speed ahead with a fixed-gear. I'm a fan of breaks, and while I tend to be a single-gear gal, I won't mind a few gears if Billy insists. Either way, I can't help but love the design beauty of fixies.


This Fuji x Obey Fixie Collab
is so lust worthy I can barely handle it.
Here are more great fixed-gears from BikeMafia.






I leave you with the poem that Billy left me and the bf with after touring his house and talking a little Marxism and Brit Lit.

Come, live with me and be my love, And we will all the pleasures prove Of peace and plenty, bed and board, That chance employment may afford.

I’ll handle dainties on the docks And thou shalt read of summer frocks: At evening by the sour canals We’ll hope to hear some madrigals.

Care on thy maiden brow shall put A wreath of wrinkles, and thy foot Be shod with pain: not silken dress But toil shall tire thy loveliness.

Hunger shall make thy modest zone And cheat fond death of all but bone –If these delight thy mind may move, Then live with me and be my love.

-Cecil Day Lewis




No comments:

Post a Comment