Friday, March 20, 2009

ohhh Baby

Last night I received a Baby Shower invitation. My brother and his wife (T+R) are about to have their first baby and this has had me thinking for a while about what kind of baby products are out there. Are they safe? What are they made of? Are toys that are designed to be put in a child's mouth made out of harsh chemicals and plastics? How available are toys made from organic, chemical-free, sustainable or recycled products?

I realize that my philosophies and beliefs on life are on the far left of the spectrum from T+R (and most of my family), so with the expectancy of this child it got me to think about a few things: How would I want to raise my child? What kinds of products am I willing to expose my newborn to? Am I willing to expose my newborn to BPA just to save a few bucks? Are those few dollars worth it to me? Besides Big Box retailers, what products are actually available for a young couple expecting their first child?

Here is a reference list to sustainable sites, baby products, and toys.




On The Web
  1. Eden Home: (Knitted Organic Cotton Teether) Offering natural, organic yet stylish products for your home, bath, bed and baby
  2. Hazelnut Kids: (Sunshine Mobile) Natural, earth-friendly, wooden andorganic cotton toys for children and babies
  3. Play Happy Toys: (Unfinished wooden rocker) Mission is to promote imaginative and intelligent play while setting a higher standard for children’s products.
  4. Happy Green Baby: (Fair Trade Organic Cotton Monkey, BPA free glass bottle) Handpicked specialty organic baby and natural baby products from top quality brands, all with a commitment to lessening impact on the environment.
  5. Green Grow: Bisphenol A-free. Phthalate-free. Worry Free. Baby Bottles.
In Chicago
In the San Francisco Bay Area



No comments:

Post a Comment