Monday, August 24, 2009

"Dances with Flavor"


Last night on Mad Men, Sterling Cooper acquired a new account called Patio.
It's a diet soda from Pepsi.
I'm pretty sure my reaction was, "Patio? Wha? huh?"
Turns out it's real.
I didn't question Mad Men's authenticity {nor will I ever} but I needed more information.


Patio Diet Cola was a brand of soda introduced in 1963 by Pepsi. It was created in response to Diet Rite Cola, which was the first diet cola on the market. Prior to the 1960s, consumers drank soda for energy or for the refreshing taste. In the 1960s, consumers, specifically women, became more health conscious. Debbie Drake was Patio Diet Cola's spokesperson, since she represented female athleticism. {via wikipedia}


In 1964, Pepsi changed the name to Diet Pepsi.
{This season of MM is set in '63}
Thanks Mad Men for teaching me something!

No comments:

Post a Comment